This time, the 2020 presidential election is a bit confusing. The world is in the middle of a pandemic, and so is the US. But voting is your right as your future is based on it. We know that the presidential election is officially on 3rd November 2020 and everyone is looking for latest Trump vs. Biden polls.
Due to COVID-19, there will be fewer poll workers and a few polling locations. So you have to make up your mind for long lines and to be patient. Or, in an alternative way, you can vote by mail. So you must understand the voting procedure. In this article, we’ll thoroughly discuss the voting procedure to guide you better.
Register Yourself To Vote
First of all, you need to register yourself to vote. Every state requires its citizens to register themselves to vote, except North Dakota. Moreover, there are different voting and election rules for each state. Check with your local election office to know how and when to register yourself to vote. And about the rules and deadline for registration. Call them or check their online database to stay updated about all the election-related information.
If You Want To Vote By Mail
This year, early voting is the need of the hour. With less polling stations and slow results of mail-in ballots, it can take more time than usual. So it would help if you prefer to vote early. North Carolina has begun mailing out ballots.
Most of the Americans are going to vote by mail this year. In a pandemic, it is safe and a secure way to vote. You need to keep the following requirements in mind if you are going to vote by mail:
- Request and submit the ballot on time (according to your state’s requirements).
- Read the instructions carefully.
- Ask an official if you have any doubts regarding the filling of your ballot.
- Fill the ballot correctly.
- Sign your envelope right and put the witness signature as well (some states require witness signature).
- In case of damage and loss of your ballot, contact your election official.
Every state has its own rules to vote by mail. So you need to check yours. Moreover, try to mail your ballot as early as possible to avoid USPS delays.
You have to be careful about the mail-in ballot. It is because any error on the ballot or envelope can reject your vote. According to a report, more than 500,000 ballots were rejected in the primary election as they were late or had some error. Furthermore, make sure your ballot reaches the election office on time. Otherwise, drop your ballot in a secure dropbox.
Some states are also giving the option to track your ballot. So check on your local election office to get all the necessary information before elections. With all the information and instructions followed correctly, it is the most convenient and easiest voting method this year.
If You Want To Vote In Person
Due to COVID-19, the election offices are under-staffed and under-funded. So there will be few polling locations with fewer poll workers. As a result, there are higher rates of long-lines and less implementation of social distancing. But, if you are still planning to vote in person, there are the following measures you need to take:
- Examine the sample ballot carefully before filling a ballot.
- Check whether your polling site has moved or not, because there are chances your site might have moved because of understaffing.
- Bring all the necessary documents and identification (as per the requirement of your state).
- Try going early to avoid long lines.
- Most importantly, wear a mask, and sanitize your hands whenever you touch a pen, ballot paper, or stickers.
- Maintain a 6ft distance between you and the other people.
This year, voting in person is risky as you can contract COVID-19 from people and poll workers. So there is a risk for everyone. Many voters and staff contracted COVID-19 in the primary election. So experts suggest Americans vote by mail.
Important Key Points
- Every person standing in line has the right to vote, even if the poll closes.
- If your name is not on the voter roll, you can cast a provisional ballot.
- There is no barrier of language.
- The frightening of the voter is illegal.
Moreover, keep yourself updated with the latest Trump vs. Biden Michigan polls and hope for the best results.